there were too many 'czech' puns to choose just one

Sunday, January 31, 2010

just czeching in (hi Mom)

I'm a little too tired to write with any wit or philosophic depth, but I am here and excited enough to eke out an adrenaline-powered paragraph or two.  All of my flights took off on time, I slept on the plane, and managed all my luggage, despite having to go through security 3 separate times.  Oh, and – somehow – I didn't pack more than everyone else!  I arrived to find that SIT had already found me a cell phone, public transportation pass, and 750 Czech korunas.  I ate amazing (vegetarian!) beet soup for dinner, drank non-mineralized water without getting any funny looks, and went to 2 different Prague cafés that looked just like I'd hoped they would.  The program directors / professors seem to know our entire life stories – they sound really enthusiastic about our range of interests, and say they have put a lot of thought into the curriculum.  Apparently, we are all passionate about the arts, but with different specializations - theater, sculpture, literature, etc., etc.  None of us finished the required reading, which didn't seem to surprise our academic director at all.  Tomorrow they're dropping us off somewhere in Prague and forcing us to get lost.  Don't worry – I've already confessed that directions aren't quite my strong suit.  The biggest problem thus far is that my computer has translated most of my internet links into Czech.

I'll write something more profound / coherent after I've slept!  I don't know how often I'll blog, but I am determined to write this semester and this seems like as promising a forum as any.  Stay in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment